American Heritage's Johnson says he's not yet dropping UF football commitment
Tuesday, August 07, 2012
by Matt Porter
After telling a Sun Sentinel reporter he'd decommitted from Florida following the resignation of recruiting coordinator Aubrey Hill, Roderick Johnson backtracked hours later Monday, saying the reports were premature.
Johnson, a hulking 6-foot-6, 310-pound American Heritage tackle, said in a text message to The Palm Beach Post he had not yet reneged on his verbal pledge to the Gators. Committed to Florida since March, Johnson said he'd like to take official visits to Auburn, Florida State and West Virginia, with FSU now leading for his services, though he still considers himself a Gator for the time being.
The Sun Sentinel quoted (and provided audio of) Johnson discussing his favorite schools and his disappointment following Hill's resignation. He also said Florida coach Will Muschamp had picked up Johnson's recruitment in Hill's absence.
All that's clear is Johnson's not solidly committed to Florida. Seniors can sign letters of intent beginning Feb. 6, making all verbal commitments before then non-binding.
Former Atlantic QB transfers: He started all 10 games for Atlantic last year and finished fourth in the area in passing, but quarterback A.J. Puente left the Eagles on Monday for Boca Raton Christian.
The quarterback battle between Puente and transfer Jay Mentecky became a focal point for Atlantic all off-season. Sources close to the program said Monday that head coach Chris Bean told Puente before fall practice that Mentecky would be the starter. That prompted Puente, who threw for 1,467 yards and 16 touchdowns in 2011, to leave Atlantic.
Bean could not be reached for comment. Puente (6-1, 195 pounds) was a Post All-Area honorable mention selection last fall, and started several times in 2010.
Top baseball player skips senior year: West Boca Raton senior Michael Barash, a standout catcher, will graduate early and play at LSU. He plans to enroll at LSU in January, leaving the Bulls without their top player but improving, Barash's family hopes, his chances at a pro career.
"I'm going to come in the spring and expedite the draft process. With the new CBA (collective bargaining agreement), there's not a lot of money going around. I'm not a Michael Kelly-level draft pick," Barash said, referencing the former West Boca Raton pitcher drafted 48th overall in 2011. "I've accomplished everything I wanted to at West Boca. It's time to make a new challenge for myself."
Barash will be eligible for the draft as a junior in 2015. He was a Post All-Area first team selection last season, when he batted a team-high .500. He won a Class 5A state championship with the Bulls in 2011.
Boca soccer stars commit: Standout goalkeeper Brian Kilgallon (College of Charleston) and midfielder Nico Midttun (FIU) verbally pledged to colleges Tuesday, Boca coach Marcelo Castillo said. Midttun, a senior, is still exploring professional options.